Allie lost her first front tooth on September 13th. She had been holding on to it for the past week. it was dangling for dear life for a few days and I kept asking her if she needed our help to pull it out. She was very nervous and kept saying she was not ready for that. On Sunday after a family party at Tim's parents house, she came home and asked Tim if he would help pull her loose tooth out. He tugged on it and it came falling out. She was gleaming from ear to ear. She smiled as she looked in the mirror and said out loud, "I love my new smile."
As a mother, It brings joy to my hear to that confidence in herself. to be honest; it is a brutal world out in there. kids can be brutal, unkind, mean and down right rude. I know, I have heard it with my own ears. I volunteer at Allie's school and have over heard what kids say to each other. Don't get me wrong, there is also good, sweet, kind words that can be heard as well. But, I have heard the harsh words kids can use at each other too.
I have always had a daily conversation when Allie. When she comes home to talk through her day. She will tell me how her day went, what she did, what kinds of things were said. These are my teaching moments as a mom to build confidence in her, to remind her she is child of God, who loves her, and she should love herself. It doesn't matter what others think, only what she thinks.
I love my conversations with Allie, she is open and honest and isn't afraid to tell me what is on her mind. It is my hopeful desire, as a mother, that she continues to do this as she grows into a beautiful young women. I want that trusting, nonjudgmental, honest relationship that we have... forever!
 |
No comments:
Post a Comment