Monday, August 24, 2015

Back To School Theme

Our Back to School theme for 2015-2016 school year is........




I think for my two little ones, this theme is such wise advice.  I thought a lot about this, that this was the dying mother’s wish; to remind her daughter to have courage and to be kind.  So it got me thinking about what legacy I want to leave my children.  I hope I am a part of their lives for a very long time of course but if there was one thing I would want my children to learn from me, one thing to carry them through their entire life, what would it be?

It's simple yet profound. As Allie goes into 1st grade, all day school, it is so important to remember to have courage and to be kind to those around her. The courage to stand up in a world that is often hard, confusing and challenging.  Courage to grow into the people they truly are and can be.  Courage to stand up for the truth and the right.  Courage to be honest, courage to reach for their dreams and courage through all their hard trials.


 And for Mason, starting a new preschool this too can be such a great reminder. 


There is nothing in this world that replaces true, genuine kindness. Kindness is what pulls people together.  Kindness can triumph everything else.  Kindness above all else, will help you succeed in every area of your life.  It is sometimes hard to be kind, but it is always the right way to act.  This is something I feel very strongly about and try my best to be kind and to live by example.




I made the kids favorite dinner for our special dinner, which is spaghetti and meat sauce and mizithra chees with Brown Butter. We discussed the goals they want to accomplish for this upcoming school year.  I asked each of them what are they going to do show courage and kindness. 

After our dinner, Tim gave Mason and Allie a fathers blessing to help bring peace to the kids mind. Tim always gives such a lovely blessing.

This has been a tradition in my family, since I was in Kindergarten. My dad has given me a father's blessing through out my entire life, when starting school or even when I started a new job. 

I'm so very blessed to have Tim, who is a worthy priesthood holder, in our home that can give our kids those reassuring words through our Heavenly Father. 

My kids are excited to start school, but before we do. We are headed on a road trip for 2 weeks. Yes, Allie will miss the first two weeks of school.  She'll go for the first day and then we head out!




No comments: