Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Miracles...do happen!!

It was on November 17,2008 at 8:30 PM when the worst nightmare had truly happened!
Tim and I were at the bishop's home enjoying a nice Family Home Evening with his family and Brother and Sister Hansen. We had decided to get together as a bishopric that night. ( which is a blessing that we were with others and not by ourselves.) That is just one of the many miracles..that night.
We had just got done playing the getting to know you penny game with everyone. Tim and I were sitting on the couch and Bishop Peterson and Roz were passing out the dessert. My favorite..peppermint ice cream and brownies!! The next minute I knew from the corner of my eye..I saw Tim's fork drop out of his hand and on to the couch. I looked over at Tim and he was starring right at me. I asked him if he was alright. That is when I knew something was wrong!!! He was unable to speak. He kept trying to talk but the words and sentences were not making sense!! It was something I will never forget. I asked him if he needed to lay down..he nodded his head and once again tried to make out words..but still the words did not come out clearly. I remember just saying something is not right...we need to do something..the bishop asked me if I wanted to call 911. I said "Yes" please..also...I need to call his parents..but at that very moment..I wasn't able to think clearly. I didn't have my phone on me and so I asked Tim, what he's parents phone # was..once again he was not able to speak or tell me their number. I grabbed his phone...and asked if we could give him a blessing!! Since Bishop Peterson was on the phone with the paramedics..Brother Hansen and Matz Peterson ( Bishop's son) came over with oil to anoint Tim. It was the first anointing Matz had ever done and I could tell he was extremely nervous! He did a great job! Brother Hansen then gave Tim a blessing..it was very comforting and I felt peace immediately following it. I remember he had blessed Tim with the recovery that he needed and that he would get through this trial. After the blessing Tim's parents showed up along with the paramedics. Tim was then transported to the ambulance and they had me ride along in the ambulance in the front seat. We then headed to the IHC hospital. During the ride to the hospital..I kept saying silent prayers..asking my Heavenly Father to comfort us, and watch over us..and give us the strength to get through this.I asked for a blessing to ensure all would work out with Tim. At one point, I turned to the paramedic and asked what do you think happened..what could possibly be wrong. he thought it was either a stroke or a seizer.
When we got to the hospital, my mom was already waiting for us. I had called her prior to leaving the Bishop's house.
( never under estimate the speed of Chris Tate).
Tim was then in good hands..immediately when Tim arrived at the ER..they called over the intercom for doctors to assist with an acute stroke room 7. I looked up to see if that was the room Tim was in..and it was! My heart sank!! I could not believe the love of my life was being treated for an acute STROKE!!
I tried to remain calm..but my nerves were getting the best of me. Tim knew I was freaking out..and he kept reaching out to me trying to comfort me. He was not able to comfort me with words..but with his actions he was trying to be there telling me he was ok. It just broke my heart!!
The doctors did a great job getting to him, they immediately ran a CTC scan, and a heart ultrasound on him to determine what the cause was. The doctor came to us right after the CTC scan was complete and mentioned that their was 2 areas of Tim's brain that had been affected, But, what he said next was the strange part. The neurologist had said the CTC scan showed the stroke happened over 12-24 hours or more and therefore the treatment to clear any blood clots were not recommended. The next thing they decided to do was look to see if there was a mini hole in his heart. They say, that has been a common thing that they have seen in stroke victims. So..they ordered a heart ultrasound to run the test for that. That came out NEGATIVE! There was no signs of a hole in his heart! So..at that point they wanted to run more test and needed to admit him into the ICU for the night..
That night was the longest night of my entire life!! I don't think I slept one bit. Thankfully, Tim's parents invited me over to sleep in their extra bedroom. I knew I was not in the state of mind to be at home by myself. I just couldn't sleep knowing my husband was in the ICU. I prayed the entire night. I continued to plead to my Heavenly Father to watch over Tim and for a quick recovery. I kept telling Clara (Tim's mom) that I needed him, that this should not be happening to him. I can still remember the sweet words Clara said at that moment. " Tim is the strongest guy I know, if anyone can recovery from a stroke, it would be him." "He has always done what the Lord has asked him to do and more." Tim, is a fighter..he will fight this and will do it for your family."
I remember the thought of Tim not being able to hold his baby Allie. I just couldn't imagine something like this happening, right before Allie was to be born.
The next morning, Clara and I went to the hospital and entered Tim's room. I took one look at him and he had the biggest smile on his face! Tears rolled down my cheek as I saw him smile at me! He then proceeded to say "Hi Buddy!" I just cracked with emotion! He had not been able to say anything clear the prior 8 hours! I knew that instant he would pull through with full recovery! I sat next to him holding his hand and he then said "Lindsay and Allie!" It was that minute when I knew all that praying had made the difference. I know my prayers are heard and answered! He later told me, he had spent the entire night working on being able to say "Lindsay and Allie." He was able to say our names even before he could say he's name. Now, that is what I call LOVE!!
Tim has come full circles, there are times when I think about where he was and where he is now, it's an amazing journey we have been through these last few weeks!
I love Tim so much! He is my everything! He truly is a fighter! I know it's because of his faithfulness we were blessed!

No comments: