![]() |
| “Whither Shall We Go?” |
Tim and I were asked to speak in sacrament a last week on prophets
& revelations. As I sat thinking
about what direction I wanted to go with this. I remembered an article I read
in this month’s ensign called “Whither Shall We Go?” This article spoke volumes
to my heart; and I’ll will be referencing this talk today.
First, what is revelation?
Revelation is communication from God to man. It
can occur in many different ways. Some prophets, like Moses and Joseph Smith,
have talked with God face to face. Some persons have had personal communication
with angels. Other revelations have come, as Elder James E. Talmage described
it, “through the dreams of sleep or in waking visions of the mind”
However , for most of us: revelation or inspiration comes by
means of words or thoughts communicated to the mind, by sudden enlightenment,by
positive or negative feelings about proposed courses of action, or even by
inspiring performances, as in the performing arts. As Elder Boyd K. Packer has stated,
“Inspiration comes more as a feeling than as a sound”
President Harold B. Lee taught that “every man
has the privilege to exercise these gifts and these privileges in the conduct
of his own affairs; in bringing up his children in the way they should go; in
the management of his business, or whatever he does. It is his right to enjoy
the spirit of revelation and of inspiration to do the right thing, to be wise
and prudent, just and good, in everything that he does.”
In ELDER KENT D. WATSON talk in this month’s
ensign called “Whither Shall We Go.” He
said this” The Lord is most generous in giving revelation. … The Lord loves you
and wants to reveal to you His mind and will. Could you ever imagine the Lord
having a problem He could not solve? I can’t. Because you are entitled to
revelation, He can help you solve every concern you have … if you will but seek
His help.”
In an uncertain world, the question of where to
go is one that each of us will ask and need to answer—repeatedly.
Questions like:
•
What kind of work should I do?
·
Should I go back to school?
·
Should I take another job
opportunity?
·
How should I solve a conflict?
•
How will I support my family?
•
How will I respond to Church
callings?
Elder Watson says,” There are some
constants,—eternal principles that are unchanging and that can help us answer
those questions.
First is:
1.
Be obedient.
Obedience is essential in preparing to receive
personal revelation. The Savior gave this counsel: “When we obtain any blessing
from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated” (D&C
130:21). He promised, “But unto him that keepeth my commandments I will give
the mysteries of my kingdom”
Soon
after Lehi and his family arrived in the land of Bountiful, the Lord said to
Nephi, “Thou shalt construct a ship, after the manner which I shall show thee,
that I may carry thy people across these waters”. Nephi did not ask why or seek
clarification about where they would end up after crossing the waters. His
direct response to the Lord was:
“Lord, whither shall I go that I may find ore to
molten, that I may make tools to construct the ship after the manner which thou
hast shown unto me?
“And it came to pass that the Lord told me
whither I should go”
Later, after Nephi had lived a lifetime of
obedience and had been a great influence upon his people, he taught, “For none
of these can I hope except they shall be reconciled unto Christ, and enter into
the narrow gate, and walk in the strait path which leads to life, and continue
in the path until the end of the day of probation”
2.
Pray always.
Prayers of faith are heard and answered. The
Savior gave a powerful promise concerning the power of faith in our prayers:
“And whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing
that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you.”
He says,”Be diligent as you inquire of your
Heavenly Father where you should go. That is what the brother of Jared did when
he was asked to “go and inquire of the Lord … whither we shall go” The Lord
heard the brother of Jared and had compassion on him. He said: “I will go
before thee into a land which is choice. … And there will I bless thee and thy
seed”
The Liahona worked according to faith and
diligence. Sometimes the answer for us may not be clear. We must first study
things out in our minds and trust the Lord. The heavenly expectation is that we
will act for ourselves, but when we do our part, we will have the sweet
assurance that we can make corOur communications with Heavenly Father must be
done with great humility. This is a form of reverence and respect for Deity. It
is submitting our will to His will. The Savior said, “Be thou humble; and the
Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers”
(D&C 112:10).
Our communications with Heavenly Father must be
done with great humility. This is a form of reverence and respect for Deity. It
is submitting our will to His will. The Savior said, “Be thou humble; and the
Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers”
As we all face our own or family trials, I sat
pondering on an example of how prayer helped me receive revelation in a recent
trial that our family went through.
Mason our little 2 year old, was hospitalized
for a week, earlier last month. He was having trouble breathing, and would make
a wheezing noise when he breathed. I took him into his pediatrician; she
immediately placed him on a nebulizer and diagnosed him with croup. He was
admitted to the hospital overnight. However, the following day after he was
released he continued to have trouble breathing and the wheezing got worse. He
ended up back in the ER, having tests ran, the doctors couldn't understand why
he wasn't getting better. They knew something else had to be wrong with him. As
I sat in the hospital bed, holding Mason on the third night, and being
exhausted, scared, over whelmed. I began praying with great humility,
I knew I needed to give all the pain I had, the burden I was feeling to my
Heavenly Father. At that moment, I had faith that it was in the Lords hands. As
I sat there praying for almost 2 hours, I had a thought come into my mind. I
thought he needs to be seen by a Ears, Nose and Throat specialist. I knew that
it was more than just croup. It was something in his throat that was causing
him to wheeze. The very next day we were told by the attending doctor that
Mason should be seen by an ENT doctor up at Primary’s. We ended up having him seen by a ENT
specialist, where they took a camera down his throat to look for a possible
infection or a foreign object. They ended up finding he had bacteria in his
windpipe. I knew, right then.. I had received an answer to my prayer. It's because I acted
on a thought that came into my mind as I sat praying in humility.
Praying with great humility is essential if our
prayers are to be heard and answered. The Savior has given a warning to all who
forget the importance of the principle of humility: “For although a man may
have many revelations, and have power to do many mighty works, yet if he boasts
in his own strength, and sets at naught the counsels of God, and follows after
the dictates of his own will and carnal desires, he must fall and incur the
vengeance of a just God upon him”
3.
Listen carefully to the still, small voice.
If you are diligent, patient, meek, and
steadfast, the promise is that “it shall be given you by the Comforter what you
shall do and whither you shall go”
“When your heart begins to tell you things that
your mind does not, then you are getting the Spirit of the Lord.”
The means by which the Spirit speaks to both the
mind and the heart is through the still, small voice spoken of in the
scriptures. This voice is often called the “voice of the Spirit” Sometimes that
voice is heard within, but more often it is felt. It may prompt us with both a
thought and a feeling concerning a matter.
In asking whither we should go, we must listen
to the still, small voice—the voice of the Comforter—which “will show unto you
all things what ye should do”
When Tim and I prayed and fasted about the
decision of moving many times prior to putting our house up on the market last
spring, and the during those previous times when prayed we didn’t feel that
moving then was right. Then in April, Tim and I had an impression that the
timing was right. We prayed and fasted again, and this time we both felt we
would act on the impression and we just out of the blue placed our house on the
market. We put our trust and faith in knowing if it was meant to be, it would
sell and things would fall in to place. To be quite honest, I was SCARED! I didn’t know where we would go, neither did
Tim. We put our trust and faith into God’s hands and he guided us in the
direction. We ended up selling our home in just 21 days. I testify, that
listening to the still small voice was what we did, and we acted in faith, with
that impression we received. Even now, I may not have all the answers about how
our life will work out, but I do know that if we follow these steps we will be
guided in the right direction. The lord will provide a way, if we life
faithfully and make righteous choices.
The next thing Elder Watson suggests is:
4.
Magnify our callings.
Every Latter-day Saint is instructed to pray,
“labor in the church … [and] be diligent in all things” (D&C 75:28–29). As
they do so, it will “be made known from on high, even by the Comforter, whither
they shall go” (D&C 75:27; emphasis added). Over the years, I have been
frequently asked, “How can I achieve balance among my family responsibilities,
ecclesiastical duties, and professional obligations?”
The Lord has promised, “But seek ye first the
kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto
you.” Surely it is in seeking the kingdom that we can know from on high, even
by the Comforter, whither we shall go.
Tim is my role model when it comes to magnifying
his calling. I’m extremely blessed to be married to him. He has taught me what
it truly means to magnify our calling. He give his calling 100%. He lives this
every day. It’s not something he does once in a while; it is an everyday choice
he makes. When we first were married and he was serving with Bishop Peterson in
the Bishopric of the Young Single Adult ward, Tim was diligent in being there
any time a young single adult needed him. He made it a priority to make an
impact in those young kids’ lives and as he does now in his calling with the
boy scouts in this stake. This last spring,
Tim spent countless hour’s hand making the pinewood debry car stands for the
boy scouts, something he didn’t have to do but wanted to do for the boy scouts,
something they could display their cars on. I believe that we as a family we have been
blessed because of this.
5.
Be loyal to your family.
The prophet Nephi provides a wonderful example
of this principle. During a difficult time, his brothers criticized him because
he had broken his steel bow and his people had no way to obtain food. Even his
father murmured. Yet Nephi honored his father.
“I said unto my father: Whither shall I go to
obtain food?
“And it came to pass that he did inquire of the
Lord”
I’m grateful for the examples of this I have in
my life. I was raised by amazing parents who taught me at an early age to rely
on Heavenly Father. I see the examples of inquiring of the Lord, in both sets
of parents and I’m blessed because of their examples.
6.
Know that God knows you.
Our Heavenly Father knows each of us and will
always be there for us. He was with us in the beginning. He knows us as we were
then. He knows us as we are now. And He knows what we can become.
President Monson has taught that our decisions
determine our destiny. He said: “I would not be standing before you, had I not
followed the counsel of a prophet, had I not prayed about a decision, had I not
come to an appreciation of the important truth: The wisdom of God oft times
appears as foolishness to men. But the greatest single lesson we can learn in
mortality is that when God speaks and a man obeys, that man will always be
right.”
Our Heavenly Father knows us. He is there for
us. If we seek Him, we will find Him. If we ask, He will answer. When we do our
part, He is sure to do His part in pointing the way and answering the question,
“Whither shall we go?”
I testify that the things, I know them to be true. We are blessed to be given the power of
revelation, if we seek it, pray for it, listen to the still small voice and
then act we will be given the answers we so diligently are seeking. I know that
God lives, and I know he loves each and every one of us.
He wants us to be happy. I’m grateful for my
wonderful husband who loves and supports me each and every day, and who is a
great example to me. And I leave these things with you in the name of Jesus
Christ. Amen
![]() |
| Jesus will tell us, “Whither Shall We Go?” |


No comments:
Post a Comment