Sunday, June 12, 2011

My First Half Marathon Run in Bear Lake

After the race with our medals

Running into the finish line
Tim, Mason and Allie made me this sign
Allie was sad that I ran into the finish line without stopping by to pick her up
Tim and his mom and Mason and Allie waiting for me to finish my run




I have been training for the last 5 months every morning. Getting up sometimes at 6 am to go running and on Saturdays running at the lake in preparation for my first half marathon. A total of 13.1 miles, around the beautiful Bear Lake. It was unbelievable!!
First let me say, I ran the race with Tim's cousin's wife Amber. She is really my rock in the whole thing. 13.1 miles is a long stretch! We took a 20 minute bus ride around the other side of the lake to get dropped off and the starting line, I thought to myself I can't believe we have to run the entire bus ride back~We never stopped running once, we ran the entire 13.1 miles. During the run, Amber and I encouraged each other when at times we felt you could not go any longer! The first 3 miles were a breeze~and then the next 2 was a pain because we had to run in cow manure. That slowed our running down a little, because it had rain poured the entire night before and was way muddy. The next 5 miles went by pretty fast. Usually at this point the majority of the people start to slow down and some even walk for a bit..but not us. This is where we kept the momentum and passed a lot of those folks! But, by the 3 mile more mark, I felt like I was ready for it to be done. We pressed forward with a fight and ran 2 more miles, which felt like eternity. We turned the corner and I thought we are so close I can feel it, just in when I thought that, I saw the 1 more mile sign!! I thought are you KIDDING me?? I don't know if I can go another step let along another mile...but I didn't stop to walk...i ran through all the pain I was having in my ankles...and made to the finish line with Amber by my side! We ran in and right in front of the finish line was our family, with posters cheering us on! Allie was holding a sign that read "Good Job Lindsay/Mommy!" It was hard to hold back the emotion. I fought through and accompished a huge goal..and there to support me was Tim and my two adorable kids, Tim's parents, and Tim's aunt Karen and Amber's cute family. It was an incredible feeling!! We finished the 13.1 in less than 2.5 hours! I couldn't believe it! What a self of accomplishment! It was something I will always remember! I saw many people cross the finish line after us, and I couldn't believe I finished before some of them. ME>a beginner runner..who never before January was ever been able to run 2 miles straight without stopping to walk! What a exciting feeling!

3 comments:

Megan said...

That is such an incredible accomplishment! Way to go :)

Stacie said...

Love all the pics. It looks beautiful and you are awesome.

Shilo said...

You are amazing!!!!
You also look great! Good job. :D