Friday, January 20, 2012

Big Milestones

Allie is officially potty trained, exactly 3 weeks after her 3rd birthday.  It all started with telling her the diaper fairy is coming to take all the diapers away and that seemed to the trick. We told her she is now big enough to wear "princess underwear." We have been trying the potty training off and on the past 6 months, however; she had no desire to sit on the potty until she actually had the diapers taken away and experienced the feel of having to sit in it.
So, I must admit she had accidents in her underwear the first couple of days and then she thought "I don't like the feeling of having to feel the mess in my pants." It only took 2 days and then she got it, she knew the feeling of what it feels like to need to go potty..and now it's almost been 1 month since then..she tells us each time she needs to go and has woken up with dry underwear.  What a proud mommy I am.  It was so stressful going through it, now looking back on it..I think I made it stressful.  I have learned a lot on how to do it next time with Mason. 

One other big thing that has happened is that Mason had surgery yesterday at Primary Children's' hospital.  Mason had to have a Penile Detorsion. It was something he was born with and now that he was old enough to go under anesthesia he had to go in and have it taken care of.  It is a hard age because he doesn't understand what is going on. He had to go without food and water from the night before at midnight until after his surgery, which was scheduled at 10:45 am and wasn't even taken in until 11:45 am that next day. My poor little guy did such a great job.
It was so funny to see him interact with the nurses and doctors. Mason has this bubbly personality and was loved by all the staff at the hospital.  The surgery lasted about an 1 hour and he was back to his normal self shortly after.  I am so happy it was a success.  He was able to come home 3 hours later and is now recovering from the ordeal.  Being a parent now, I think it is so hard to see our little ones go through such pain. I can't even begin to imagine the pain my parents went through 11 years ago when I had go through a bone marrow transplant.  That is something I never would want to have to go through as a parent.  I am grateful for my wonderful parents and all the love and support they were during that time in my life. They are an inspiration to me on how to handle a sick kid.
Mason is headed up to primary children's hospital

Getting his scrubs on to go into surgery

Mason happy as a clam

Mason letting the nurse listen to his lungs

Mason thinking "So, let's get this over with!"

Mason getting taken into the operating room in a wagon

No comments: