On Saturday October 15th, I ran my 2nd half marathon! I had spent the last 10 weeks training for this big run all by myself. I was a little hesitant to run the race by myself, since I had ran the Bear Lake half marathon with Amber. (Tim's cousin's wife)
However, Tim was did an excellent job helping me prepare me for the 13.1 miles. He has spent 6 mornings a week watching the kids so that I could train every morning. I followed a vigorous marathon training..running 3-6 miles during the week and 8-12 long miles on Saturday's at the Day Break lake. Tim came with me to drive the course to prepare myself mentally for the hills and any other obstacles I may encounter. On the morning of the race, Tim woke up and drove me to the starting line in Daybreak at the Early Light Academy. He waited for the race to start and watched the beginning of the race with Allie and Mason. I ended up talking with 2 girls that were next to me before the race began. They were 21 and 24 yrs of age and had been runners all of their lives. I thought, this was a great opportunity for me to really push myself and see if I could keep up with them. One of the girls had written in pen a tracking/timing running guide on her arm to keep herself on track for 8 min miles. The race began and of course I started out being in the front, because mentally I do better at the beginning of the pack and keeping a steady pace and therefore don't have over extort myself to try to pass everyone if I was to start out in the back.
 |
| Beginning of the half marathon at 7:45 am |
 |
| South Jordan Marathon |
 |
| My number 208 |
 |
| And the race begins.... |
 |
| Running into the finish line! |
 |
| After running 13.1 miles at the finish line! |
 |
| After the run |
I ran the whole race with one of the girls that I had meet at the start, we helped encourage each other throughout the race. At mile 10 when I felt like I my feet burning and the sun hitting down on me and overly exhausted..I looked over and saw Tim, Allie and Mason on the side of the road on 9800 south cheering me on!! With tears in my eyes I was smiling and screaming..those are my two kids and my husband. I got a burst of energy and eagerness to finish the next 3.1 miles strong. I was just at the end of my last mile, feeling pretty tired and wanting to stop and just walk for a bit, but knew my goal was to not walk any of the 13.1. I then saw the finish line and gave it my all, and then I saw my mom right on the side of the finish line and screamed "Hi, Mom!" and just when I finished I saw Tim and my two kids waving! What a feeling!! Tim had made a sign and bought pink roses and balloons for me! What a great husband! I ended up running the 13.1 miles in 2:03!! That was 26 minutes faster than my first half marathon! I was so proud to be able to run with girls who were 10 yrs younger than me and who had been running their entire lives. I must say, I was pretty sick to my stomach for 12 hours after the run. I had horrible abdominal pain from being dehydrated! Tim was there to watch the kids while I recovered. It was pretty painful, and thought there is no way I could run a marathon after being in the pain that I was in. But, just like pregnancy... I am sure those thoughts and feelings go away and you just remember the feeling at the end and the rush it gives you to be able to do something so incredible!
2 comments:
you amaze me. I admire that you have taken up running. I love to read about your accomplishment with your running. Thanks for sharing this with us. Keep up the good work.
Britni Duke
Linds! You rock girl! I need you as a running partner!
Post a Comment